Saturday, January 21, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!

For Mom's birthday, Mer and I cooked a fancy dinner. We made Filletes de Pescado a la Veracruzana (Fish fillets braised with tomatoes, capers, olives and herbs). We also made salad and cornbread. I was in charge of the cornbread. We decided to replace one half cup of the white flour with wheat flour. Mer got all the ingredients out for me and started working on the fish.

I started measuring out a 1/2 cup of wheat flour, and it smelled DELICIOUS! I was like "Mmm! This smells great! It smells like MUFFINS!" And Mer was like "mmm hmm." then I inhaled more deeply and said "MMM!! It smells like ROLLS!" and finally she glanced over and realized I was measuing out the yeast, not the wheat flour!! Oops! Good thing I didn't dump it in. That would have been some GIANT cornbread. It turned out delicious.

That is yeast:



Mer cooking the fixings for the fish.



Birthday champagne!



It was a special night because it was Mommy's first Irish Car Bomb!



Cheers!



Mom looks a little skeptical, but she sure did finish her Car Bomb!



Filletes de Pescado a la Veracruzana. FANCY! Also, cornbread and salad.



We got a cake from the Village Bakery.



Fancy!



It was chocolate with raspberry inside. It was delicious. Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments: