Thursday, February 07, 2008

Franziskaner: A Love Story

I am VERY EXCITED to report that now you can buy my very favorite beer of all time, Franziskaner, right here in Athens! Allow me to give you a brief history of my relationship with Franzi.

In February 2006, I went to San Francisco for a vacation with Mer and Pete. While there, we went to Suppenküche, a German restaurant. Not only does Suppenküche have a wide varierty of delicious German food, they also have an impressive bar, with very knowledgable bartenders! One of the bartenders helped me to pick a beer he thought I would like based on my tastes, and I FELL IN LOVE:

Franziskaner is a hefeweizen, with notes of citrus, banana, and clove. While in San Francisco, I got to enjoy Franziskaner again when I went to a carryout and bought a six pack to take to a friend's outdoor barbecue.

When we got back to Athens, I was excited to buy a six pack and introduce my friends to my new LOVE! I was so disappointed to discover that no store in town sold this amazing beer. I felt as if a little piece of my soul was missing.

Then, in May, Meredith and I went to the annual NBIA conference. This year it was in St. Louis. Figuring we'd have better luck in a big city, we googled "St. Louis + Franziskaner" and sure enough, we found Cicero's, a restaurant that serves Franziskaner on tap!

Then it was back to Athens, where I would continue my life without. But then in April, I was at a market in Akron, and found that they sold Franziskaner by the bottle! YES!!! I bought some and brought it home. I finally got to enjoy Franziskaner for the first time in Athens.

Since then, I have bought bottles to bring home a few times when I have been at fancy stores in big cities.

But just the other night, my cell phone rang. It was Tom, calling me from Broney's, to inform me that they have Franziskaner on tap. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What amazing and wonderful news!!!!! We had plans to get together the following night, so I insisted that we choose Broney's as the meeting place. Broney's isn't my usual scene, but if they have Franziskaner on tap, I will be drinking it.

When I arrived and saw the Franziskaner logo, I had a momentary panic that maybe it was a mirage, or a cruel, cruel joke, but when the bartender pulled back the lever and the delicious nectar from the heavens began to flow into my glass, I knew that I had found my true love once again. Franziskaner and I were reunited and now our love was free to truly blossom!

THE END!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I started my search for my most favorite beer of all, one of my first ones was Franziskaner Weissbier, I just fell in extasis...
After dozens of beers I was tasting, none took its place. I bought once some Franziskaners on october last year and I drank them on Christmas... so magical. I LOVE Franziskaner!!

Ariel.

orangek8 said...

Cheers, Ariel!