Saturday, June 19, 2010

June Cooking Club: Mexican Fiesta!

It was my turn to host cooking club this month. For the theme, I chose Mexican Al Fresco Fresh! But it was in the high 90's outside this evening, so we decided to eat in the air conditioning instead of out on the deck.

I made grilled fish tacos and I made my own tortillas! Here I am rolling them out:



Emily and Valerie enjoy a round of beverages as Summer heads out to put the first course on the grill.



She made grilled jalepeno poppers! Dishing up:



They were KILLER! Super spicy, but bearable. And just delicious.



She also made a delicious pineapple cocktail!



Time for a toast!



A farewell toast to our beloved Suzanne, who has moved away from us and will not be able to participate in cooking club any longer (sob!). And also to welcome Emily, who will be our newest member! Cheers!



Time for the Guac-Off! We each submitted a guacamole, and then voted for our two favorites.



We tallied the votes, and I was the winner!! I made the recipe from Boudro's in San Antonio, where I had the best guacamole in my life in 2008. I've been meaning to try the recipe ever since, and boy am I glad that I did!



Here I am demonstrating the procedure of roasting hot peppers over an open flame. There is lots of crazy popping and crackling that occurs!









Mmm, next up! Yumi's gazpacho with balsamic drizzle. Cool and refreshing with a bit of zip!



Emily brought tamales! Look at those little packages of deliciousness!



Time to dish up the fish tacos! To go onto my fresh tortillas, there was grilled mahi-mahi and cabbage slaw.



To round things out, Valerie made a wonderful quinoa salad.



Ole!



After dinner, we played a new game, Partini. It was great! Here is Summer doing one of the challenges which involves a ball and cups.



Emily singing!



Summer miming!



And last up, dessert! Nancy made mexican brownies and margarita ice cream and BOY OH BOY, were they delicious.



It was an amazing cooking club and we were all STUFFED!

No comments: