Saturday, February 09, 2019

Cooking club: Snowed in!

Yumi hosted the February cooking club, and Valerie and I helped cook. We've had some snowy days lately, so the theme was "Snowed in!" We made dishes that you would be able to make from pantry items if you were snowed in by a blizzard. Yumi started us off with a cozy manhattan.



Because it's wise to always have some bourbon in your cupboard!



Cheers!



Valerie discovered this delicious tinned smoked trout.



She made appetizers of trout on potato chips! They were scrumptious!



Yumi made spicy tomato oil and no-knead bread to dip in it. It only rises for two hours! This bread was freaking delicious! It tasted like she had spent hours and hours on it. Yum!! We tore off chunks of the bread and dipped it in the sauce. Snow me in!!!



I made a creamy, garlicky shrimp pasta. I often have shrimp in my freezer, and grated parm in my fridge! It uses jarred roasted red peppers. I don't often have heavy cream in the fridge, but I do always have half-and-half so I gave myself a pass on that.



Whee, cooking!



The pasta was amazing!! I used dried parsley instead of fresh because, SNOWED IN! It was so creamy and cheesy. Valerie made a wild rice and dried mushroom side dish that was super mushroomy and delicious. MMM!



After dinner, we played bowl of nouns! Always a great time.



For dessert, I made Smitten Kitchen's salted brown butter crispy treats. This recipe is insanely good. The sea salt!! The browned butter! We hammered this pile of treats. Being snowed in is awesome!



Exciting news. Yumi got a cat!! Meet Olive.



Isn't she beautiful?



We finished the night with a game of Mad Gab. Drinks, yummy food and board games. Snow me in, baby!

No comments: