Saturday, February 02, 2002

Detroit

It's been a long weekend! I went out of town. Summer and I went to Detroit! I've never been there before. Her friend Leighanna lives there, and my friend Emma lives nearby in Ann Arbor, so we went up. Leighanna's sister Rabecca, and three other girls (Melissa, Maia, and Carrie) came also. It was fun! Friday night we went to a restaurant in Royal Oak called Sangria's. Guess what we drank?... It was my first time ever trying sangria. It's pretty good! It was so exciting to see Emma! Dinner was pretty fancy. After dinner, all the girls wanted to go back to Leighanna's except for Emma and I. We went to a bar called The Rock or something for a beer, and it ended up being somebody's 30th birthday party, which was weird! EVERYBODY knew each other there! It was fun, Emma had her laser pointer with her, and she has cool attachments for it like skulls and flying saucers. So we kept pointing the laser pointers at people and pretending it wasn't us. And it was fun! Nobody really noticed except this one guy that looked like Hulk Hogan, and he was trying to be funny, but he wasn't.

After that, Emma dropped me off at Leighanna's apartment. The next morning, Rabecca made everyone pancakes! MMM! And then we went to the Detroit Zoo! That was GREAT! They have this amazing polar bear exhibit. It is so cool! It is a glass tunnel INSIDE the polar bear environment, so they swim right over you and stuff! They were wrestling the whole time it was so cute! Cute, but they are the most vicious animals in the entire zoo, and would eat you in a second if they could. But that's easy to forget when there's four inches of specially made glass between you and them! I got some pretty cute polar bear ears in the gift shop. We ate lunch at a place called Smoky Bones or something. Then I took off with Emma to go to Ann Arbor. All the other girls went to a club in Detroit called Clutch Cargos. I was going to finally get to meet Emma's boyfriend Dave!! And see Emma's house. She lives in a Frank Lloyd Wright house! The Palmer House! It was AMAZING! Wow.

Then we went shopping downtown, and went to a bar called The Brown Jug. I had some pretty disgusting pasta, and some beers! That's where we met up with Dave. He was playing a show that night at a little student union place called the Halfass - he was playing for the first time with this band called Saturday Looks Good to Me, which I guess has several members and they change often? Or something. But he's a good drummer! It was fun! Then we stayed in Dave's parents' basement, which was funny because it was COMPLETELY seventies! There's even a roll of saran wrap in the basement kitchen that's from the seventies! Bizarre! Sunday we made the long trek back.

When I arrived home, Adam had a few friends over to watch the Superbowl. One of those friends was Jay, who I went to high school with, and who was down for the night from Columbus — his mom made CUPCAKES! They were AWESOME!!!

Then today started off pretty shitty, when I skidded off the road on my way to work. My office is in an old Lunatic Asylum, "The Ridges," and I was turning off the highway onto the long Ridges driveway and I didn't know it was icy and I skidded right off the road, narrowly missing the ditch. Ugh. So I had to walk up to the office and get Tracy and Dean (the only two guys who work at NBIA - they get stuck with a lot of fun tasks!) to come and help push me out. I drove my car up to the parking lots and as I was walking to the buildings, Adam drove by!! I said "How did YOU already know about this!?" I guess Sergio had driven by my car on his way to work, saw that it was skidded out on the side of the road with nobody in it, and called Adam. I thought that was funny. One thing's for sure about Athens — you do something stupid, and within ten minutes, everyone in town knows about it! Great start to the day!

Then after work I decided to go to Kroger's, because I needed lunch stuff, and knew that once I got home, I wouldn't want to go back out. So I went there, and while I was there, I decided that I would make lasagna!! I've never made it before, but for about 2 months, I've been saying that I will try. So I bought the ingredients, and made it!!! Adam's brother Jared stopped over right as I finished, so he stayed to eat too. He got seconds! Everyone loved it. I am very proud. That's about all I have to say for the first installment in February!

No comments: