Friday, August 20, 2004

The Great Jeans Disaster

So, this weekend I have some guests in from out of town. I picked Jamie up from the airport in Columbus this morning. Let me start from the beginning. About two weeks ago, I was in Parkersburg, West Virginia, at the Gap I always go to. I tried on some of their new low rise jeans, and they were awesome. The pockets and hems were just SLIGHTLY distressed, and they were stretchy and comfortable. I wanted them, but decided I didn't need any full-priced jeans. I rarely buy full priced merchandise!

Well, I couldn't get these jeans out of my mind for the next few days, which PROVED that I NEEDED them. So I ordered them online. I made sure to carefully inspect the online photos, and they looked exactly the same. Well, they arrived in the mail last week, and the pockets weren't distressed. They weren't my dream jeans. So I looked up the number for the Gap in Lancaster, since I would be driving through there today, on my way to pick up Jamie at the airport.

I asked them if they had the ones with the distressed pockets and they sure did. I asked the lady if they could hold them for me, and I could pick them up at the end of the week on my way to the airport. She said they could only do holds for 24 hours, but that I could buy them with my credit card over the phone and they would be shipped to me before this weekend, and I could just return the pair I didn't want at the store on my way through. I said, "okay."

So, today's Friday, right? I have already been through Lancaster, Jamie is at my house, and I have received no jeans. I call mom and ask if she's SURE the jeans never came. (I get packages delivered to her house because she has a front porch and there's always someone home all day.) She says I had better call because they shouldn't have taken this long.

So I call Lancaster Gap and explain my situation. Although, since I am soooo used to going to Parkersburg, I look up the Parkersburg Gap's number online and call THEM. They were like, "Which store did you purchase these from?" and I said, "Lancaster." And they were like "this is Parkersburg." I was embarrassed. So I look up the number for Lancaster and call them. They have no record whatsoever of any transactions taking place on that day!!!!!! I talk on the phone with the manager forever, and she goes through all their books. She keeps asking me if I'm SURE I called THAT store. I said "yes! of course! I was planning on driving past there on my way to Columbus today to return the pair I didn't want!"

She calls some official number to see if my credit card had done any transactions with them that day, it says no. She suggests I call my credit card company and see if the order was even placed. I call, and sure enough, it WAS! So now I'm freaking out, convinced that I am the victim of credit card fraud. I decide that I should TRY calling the Parkersburg store, since I had accidentally called them earlier, perhaps I had accidentally called them when I first placed the order!

I call them and um derrrrrrr I HAD bought them from that store! SO embarrassing. But here the situation gets weirder! She says "I am looking at the UPS page online right now and it says they were delivered and signed for this past Tuesday, at the side door..." THE SIDE DOOR? So I call Mom again and it turns out that the delivery truck had come to DAD'S SHOP door, he signed for the package and then set it somewhere in his messy shop! The freaking jeans had been there all freaking week!

Meanwhile I have been on the phone with TWO Gaps in two different states, and my credit card company for almost an hour while my out of town guests patiently read magazines in my living room. Moral of the story, I am an idiot. But I now own a pair of really cute jeans.

No comments: